On 27 december 2002 the cabinet of ministers adopted a strategic project for the recovery and Economic Transformation (LOSS) for industrial decarbonisation of the manufacturing industry, complying with a commitment to support the industry in its transition to models and processes are more environmentally friendly and contribute to the objective of neutrality in 2050.
The beneficiaries of this LOSS is the manufacturing, among which product manufacture non metallic minerals (including ceramic, glass, cement, among others), chemical, oil refining, metallurgy and manufacture of paper and paper pulp. These are the large combustion plants in other sectors, with particular relevance in the food and beverage industry. The action planned will be implemented during the period 2023-2026, while projects might end later.
In the framework of the HUGE Industrial Decarbonisation, provides for a total investment of eur 11.6 billion, with a contribution of the public sector of $3.1 billion euros, distributed evenly among the various strands. This is a collaborative venture público-privada that includes all the measures that will boost processing projects aimed at the decarbonisation of the processes of companies in the manufacturing sector. The projects. This will have adopted these four processing steps:
- Aid line of integrated action programme for decarbonisation of the manufacturing industry, including a public funding of eur 2.3 billion, of which 800 million will have the form of subsidy and $1.5 billion be efficiently organized as a loan, to run from the 2023 onwards.
- Aid line authorized by the european commission to manufacturing companies participating in the draft common european interest (hereinafter IPCEI), on the manufacturing chain of hydrogen from renewable origin, with public funding of eur 450 million in the form of subsidy to run in 2023.It is already published the royal decree 251/2023, from 4 april.
- Survey and evaluation of development support fund for the contracts on emissions and realization of a pilot project, which shall have public funding of eur 100 million to develop a pilot project.
- Support for the development of new manufacturing facilities, highly efficient and descarbonizadas, with public funding of 150 million in subsidy and 100 million in loans.
Investments in decarbonisation and modernization of manufacturing industry driven through this LOSS will make it possible to increase the competitiveness of the sector by around 10% and create up to 8,000 jobs. In Addition, according to estimates from the ministry of industry, commerce and tourism, it is envisaged a reduction in emissions that could reach 13 million tons of CO2e per year.
Objectives of the HUGE Industrial Decarbonisation
The HUGE industrial decarbonisation objectives will be as follows:
- Decarbonisation of production processes, allowing the viability of industries in the medium and long term.
- Improving energy efficiency, through the incorporation in the industries of the best available technologies and energy management systems.
- Improving the competitiveness of manufacturing. The manufacturing industry is facing a major challenge of reducing emissions and, to remain competitive, it will be essential to support investment in decarbonisation.
- Promoting energy security of Spain. The manufacturing industry it accounts for 30% of consumption of natural gas in Spain (59 per cent, excluding electricity generation), the drop in consumption will be crucial to ensuring energy security of Spain.
- Promote the use of renewable energy. In this way will it be possible to reduce emissions while will help reduce dependence on fossil fuels.
- To promote the upgrading of the environment to support the use of by-products, and the recovery of waste to integrate them into other processes and thus reduce the environmental impact of products throughout their life cycle.
- Job creation of high added value. The decarbonisation of the industry would be accompanied by greater training of professionals who will have the necessary capacities to implement cleaner technologies.
Executive Summary [PDF] [825 KB]
Royal Decree 251/2023, from 4 april, which regulates the direct subsidy ArcelorMittal España S.A. company for the implementation of the draft circular Hydrogen DRI, within the framework of the recovery Plan, transformation and Resilience.
Royal Decree 251/2023
The Government adopted the LOSS of industrial decarbonisation public investment of 3,100 M €
Report of the LOSS [PDF] [2.2 MB]